Sunday, August 2, 2009

Education research in UC?

A few lectures ago, Dave brought up how UC (or UCB) was questioning whether having a graduate study of education was necessary. Those who oppose were arguing that UC is a research focused institution yet education is not a topic of research… I probably would have said the same thing before taking this class.

After three weeks of discussing literacy, however, I am starting to realize the importance of research in education. I am not knowledgeable enough to convincingly argue my points. However, through many discussions, activities, and reflection of my own literacy journey thus far, I have come to realize that there exist more effective ways of teaching literacy (and teaching in general). I believe that research is the single most effective way of figuring them out and that we should take advantage of it. It’s ironic that the value of education is so underrated, while it seems that a lot of us depend on education to become successful.

I now feel like I share maybe a slight bit of what education researchers’ frustration might be towards this issue.

3 comments:

  1. I know I also agree with you, the value of education is so underrated despite its obvious importance to our society. Even the teaching profession in K-12 schools is constantly undermine due to low salaries. Teachers play a crucial role in a student's development, thus I truly think that society needs to acknowledge how essential they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for sure think that having a graduate school of education is real important. because they do a lot of work researching and looking up new things to better our educational system in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your point. If people realize the importance of the effectiveness of education and what it can cause, they will find the point to conduct the education research.

    ReplyDelete