Sunday, August 9, 2009
Learn to speak the language to show respect
I recently encountered someone who said that immigrants who don’t speak English are rude for not respecting American cultures. This idea shocked me at first, because I never thought of it that way before. As an immigrant myself, when I see an immigrant who can’t speak English, I just assume that he/she didn’t spend much time in America. I often felt bad for them for all the troubles they might go through… because I’ve been there. I can see how it can be seem rude though, when I think about foreigners in Korea who don’t even try to learn Korean because they can get by speaking only English. My father came to my mind as I thought more about this. He has been living in the U.S. for about eight years now, but he is still not very proficient in English. And it’s because he has been working a lot of hours and spends the rest of time at home resting. He may not speak, read, and write the language well, however he loves America as much as he loves his home country now. I think that it is important not to judge and understand that everyone has their own story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally understand what you are saying! When I do something in the awkward way and just keep silent, some people think that I am weird or rude, which is a total misunderstanding! It is because I am ignorant of the US culture not because I don't want to respect the US culture.
ReplyDelete